[Foundation-l] Considerations for museums and archives to gain their cooperation

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Mon Mar 30 18:09:50 UTC 2009

>>  The real issue is about how to cooperate with
>> archives and museums.
>

> I can only underline this point of Gerard. In the end, it is always about
> cooperating with other people, trying to find out what are our common
> interests. Maybe those of us who are experienced with these cooperations
> could make a list of arguments that are important to museums, archives,
> libraries etc.? And what are their concerns we have to deal with?
>
> Second, a picture without proper description (information about where it
> comes from etc.) loses a lot of its value. This is a reason for not simply
> taking things from the internet.

Sorry, I still do not understand.

Well, I all for cooperating with museums. Imagine though we suck and a
museum X decides to cooperate with flickr and put properly licensed and
attributed images there. We are only talking about PD-images. What
prevents us from taking these images from flickr and uploading them on
commons with proper attributon?

Cheers
Yaroslav