[Foundation-l] [Wiktionary-l] Divergent Wiktionary logos

Dominic dmcdevit at cox.net
Wed Mar 25 20:41:01 UTC 2009

Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> > When I read what is proposed, the impression is given that a process will
> > start with a compulsory outcome. I understand the rationale for one shared
> > logo and favicon. The problem is that it is people outside of Wiktionary
> > that want to improve the Wiktionary "brand" and the last time it was very
> > much these outsiders that made the selection.

Exactly. Despite the fact that fr.wikt and a few others eventually
adopted the logo, the logo debacle was not en.wikt's making. It wasn't a
refusal to accept the the outcome of the proposal, it was a reluctance
to be dictated to by people who weren't a part of the community. I'm
afraid this will be interpreted the same way, if we're proposing to just
slap a sitenotice on all the Wiktionaries telling them to discuss a new
logo. There needs to be community impetus for the change, so that the
meta discussion evolves out of actual community desire for a new logo.
We should start at places like en.wikt's [[Wiktionary:Beer parlour]],
fr.wikt's [[Wiktionnaire:Wikidémie]], and es.wikt's
[[Wikcionario:Café]], not foundation-l.

Dominic