[Foundation-l] [Wiktionary-l] Divergent Wiktionary logos

Casey Brown cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 20:06:19 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> With the refusal of the logo by many wiktionaries, a precedent was set.

If a precedent was set then, then it was reversed by the successful
Wikibooks logo change: <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikibooks/Logo>

As should be the case, when that happened it was enforced and all the
projects were updated -- if they had no translation, they were given a
plane version without any words (this could later be translated and
requested on bugzilla).  The Wikibooks way is probably the best way to
go about it.

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure - the first part of what I wrote (discussing a conflict of vote
> outcomes) related specifically to Wiktionary, the second part was more
> general. Given the status of the logos as marks of the Foundation, can the
> meta community vote to change any logo?

It's not "the Meta community".  If a vote is held on Meta-Wiki in the
mainspace (not Meta: space), then it has to do with multiple projects
and we use Meta-Wiki because it is the "Wikimedia project coordination
wiki".  This means that the vote is intended for all communities and
they are the ones who vote and discuss.

> If not, what is the 'right way' to
> pursue a logo change - using a staff driven process like this one, where the
> vote is more confirmatory than determinant?

IMO, the process doesn't need to be staff-*driven*, but they need to
be involved and know about the progress of the change.  This being
said, their input would be valuable and would mean a lot -- if Jay
says "no, this isn't going to happen", I think that would either make
it so that the proposal wouldn't move forward or people would be less
likely to vote in favor of it.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023