[Foundation-l] Abuse filter

John at Darkstar vacuum at jeb.no
Wed Mar 25 16:26:34 UTC 2009

In Norway Personopplysningsloven §7 gives explicit exemptions to
artistic, journalistic and literary work. Vandalism is no such thing but
the project as such is a journalistic and literary work. When someone
vandalize we claim it is just piggybacking on the normal use of the site
and is "published". If there is no publishing the full law apply.

We had a previous correspondence with Datatilsynet where they claimed
IP-addresses to be personal information. I don't think they have changed
on that matter. WMF may choose to dismiss the law altogether, but I'm
not sure Norwegian users can do the same thing.

I doubt seriously that logging of IP-addresses is a crucial element of
the extension, its simply nice to have for later retrieval and actions.
Given how logging is implemented in Mediawiki it is probably easier to
keep the IP-addresses than removing them.

I don't think anything is going to change, so it is as a lost case.

John

http://www.lovdata.no/all/tl-20000414-031-001.html#7