[Foundation-l] Abuse filter

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 13:32:40 UTC 2009

The peculiarity in some respects of Scandinavian law seems to come up on
this list fairly frequently, but it's usually short on specifics or actual
cases. John, do you have any specific references to what you've described as
a problem?

Adhering to your interpretation on the possible limits on "private"
information would effectively eliminate the abuse filter as a useful tool.
I'm having a hard time seeing this as a widespread problem; there can't be
many jurisdictions that define public and private in this way, or place such
restrictions on what can be done with this data that blocking someone from a
private website in another country could be a violation of the law.

To my mind, private data of the sort we need to worry about is not "private"
in the sense that it is owned by the Foundation or not publicly viewable,
but "private" in the sense that it contains potentially sensitive details of
individual editors and readers. Nothing in the abuse filter would seem to
change the public availability of this sort of data, and I can hardly see
Wikimedia being penalized simply for preventing vandalism instead of
reacting to it.

Nathan