[Foundation-l] Board position statement

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Tue Mar 24 22:57:04 UTC 2009

Robert Horning wrote:
> My question isn't so much when and where, but rather who can vote on
> this proposal.  More to the point, stakeholders in the content of
> Wikimedia sites includes a whole bunch of people who may not necessarily
> fit the criteria that is typical for voting on WMF board members and
> stewards.... myself included.  I haven't exactly been an active
> participant on this mailing list, nor lately on many of the Wikimedia
> projects, but I have contributed a fair amount of content to the
> Wikimedia projects over the years spanning multiple projects.
>
> I certainly think my voice ought to count for something, together with
> other people who are in my position and situation.

I quite agree with you, and if you check out the licensing update page
on Meta http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Licensing_update
you'll find that voting eligibility is based on a quite low number of
edits, made any time before the cutoff date. Given the nature of the
question, we understand that anyone who has a history with us should be
able to have input, whether or not they are currently active. Actually,
the edit threshold was just changed from 10 to 25 (still pretty low) by
Erik, maybe he can explain the thinking behind that, as I wasn't aware
of that decision.

--Michael Snow