[Foundation-l] Proposed revised attribution language

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 03:56:31 UTC 2009

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> 2009/3/13 Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org>:
>
>> The point of the provision is to ensure that attribution by link
>> always happens by linking to a copy that actually gives authorship
>> information.
>>

> It is vitally important that that be the case, otherwise you could
> have two mirrors each linking to each other with neither listing the
> authors, which is not "attribution" is any meaningful sense of the
> word. I don't under Jussi-Ville's objections - there must be a
> misunderstand somewhere.

I think you fail at logic.

You could not have two mirrors linking to each others with
neither listing the authors, if the first one to mirror was
compliant with the CC-BY-SA. Posit the first mirror complied with
and required compliance of that license. It would have to
attribute in a reasonable form and require attribution in a
reasonable form from those taking content from it. If the site
copying from it, did not attribute in a reasonable form, it
could in no way be considered compliant. Logic 101.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen