[Foundation-l] Pissed off at en:Wikisource

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 12 16:37:35 UTC 2009

--- On Thu, 3/12/09, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

> From: Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>
> Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Pissed off at en:Wikisource
> Date: Thursday, March 12, 2009, 3:03 AM
> Birgitte SB wrote:
> > Sorry but there is no reason to have a RFC on Meta for
> anything remotely like this situation.  And I would say
> that if were regarding any wiki (I am sure I have said that
> for similar situations on other wikis in the past).
> The wikis are autonomous on these issues.  If someone
> has reason why en.WS adminship rules are incompatible with
> the general purposes of the project, then please
> share.  Otherwise discuss in the proper forum which is
> en.WS.
> >

> I have since the very beginning been a strong supporter of
> project
> autonomy, and have usually been very critical of anyone who
> tries to
> impose the rules of other projects in Wikisource.
> Last summer, when
> another de-sysop process happened, I also spoke strongly
> against
> allowing ourselves to be overly influenced by that person's
> overly bad
> behaviour on other projects; I conservatively concurred
> with what
> happened based solely on events at wikisource.
>
> In the course of the discussion about me, I considered
> coming here at an
> early stage, but decided that I would let things play out
> on wiki
> first.  I did not raise the issue here until a few
> days after the
> decision was closed and implemented.
>
> If I had not commented on events here, would you have
> noticed it, and
> would it even have crossed your mind to comment as you did
> above?

I don't follow exactly what you mean.  I often comment here that some new thread is an internal issue and not a Foundation one.  If you had commented on-wiki, I would have responded there.  If you hadn't commented about the situation at all, I wouldn't have commented either.

Given
> the still relatively small community at en:ws, where does
> one turn for a
> calmer and more objective analysis from someone who is not
> a part of the
> apparent piling on?

You can approach community members who were not part of the apparent piling on and ask them for such an analysis.  You can ask someone who is not part of the community and that you respect for generally giving calm and objective analysis to share their opinion on en.WS. I am not against people from out of the community helping out with this.  I just don't believe either such a wide announcement nor having the opinions being placed outside of en.WS should be encouraged.

 If the result of raising the
> issue here is a fairer
> discussion on wiki, I can't complain about that.
> There should always be
> a place for off-wiki safety valves.
>
> I see that you have asked a question on my talk page, so I
> will address
> more specific matters there shortly.
>
> Ec

Thank you for bringing the specifics back on-wiki..

Birgitte SB