[Foundation-l] Pissed off at en:Wikisource

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Mar 12 07:12:13 UTC 2009

John Vandenberg wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod at mccme.ru> wrote:
>
>> I have no idea of the en.ws situation, nor do I want to have any idea, but
>> I would like to remark that leaving such things to the community decision
>> is a good idea only if the community itself is big enough. Otherwise, it
>> is easy for a group of individuals, or even for an individual to introduce
>> their own rules which may be incompatible with the general purposes of the
>> project. In this case, an external help may be needed. For instance, this
>> is what happened a year ago on ru.wb when the only admin has been
>> desysopped after it has been discovered and reported on this very list
>> that he arbitrarily abused and blocked other users and removed edits.
>>
>> Again, I am not really aware of the situation on en.ws, I have no idea
>> whether this project is big enough to solve their own problems within the
>> project, and I do not want to make any statements about any users over
>> there. (As a matter of fact, I never logged in to en.ws). I just wanted to
>> say that not every project is capable with solving its own problems.
>>
> I agree with this.  English Wikisource does not have a mediation
> framework, and I didnt participate in that desysop discussion as much
> as I should have, due to time constraints.  The next step would be a
> meta RFC, or something like an offwiki discussion.  I am happy to
> participate in something like that if it would help.

I am amenable to a solution of this sort.

> What I will say now is that Eclecticology is a great contributor to
> the English Wikisource project, and I hope he continues to be.  The
> main project that he has been working on, [[s:Dictionary of National
> Biography, 1885-1900]], has been exempt from the structure imposed on
> the rest of the project, as a way of reducing the tensions.
Fair enough, and while continuing work on that project, I have seen fit
to limit my insistence on broadly applying my viewof the disputed
structure.  I still believe that my approach is a better one, but have
for some time already taken the approach that that can best be exhibited
by essentially limiting my approach to one encyclopedic work and one
periodical  [[s:McClure's Magazine]].  In part, it was to reduce
tensions, but there was a recognition that I had a limited amount of
time for working at it.

Ec