[Foundation-l] Proposed revised attribution language

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 01:33:59 UTC 2009

Erik Moeller wrote:
> 2009/3/11 geni <geniice at gmail.com>:
>
>> Importing wikipedia content would be an absolute pain
>>

> Why? The language doesn't require you to include a full list of
> authors. Only if you want your copy to be a "link-creditable" copy,
> you would need to do so.

The language of the license does not, but the fact that
we are an international operation that works across
jurisdictions and not merely under US law, makes it
inevitable as a requirement, to satisfy the share alike
portion, and allow use across the globe.

If somebody were to argue that we have traditionally
operated under US law; I would rebut that by clarifying
that only pertains to the operation of our site, and the
workings of the overarching Foundation which acts as
caretaker. Chapters for instance have to comply with
their respective jurisdictions laws, and the same clearly
applies with content reuse. The content reuse will not
be hosted on wikimedia servers, to state the obvious;
so in a vast majority of cases Florida law is completely
irrelevant, to put it mildly ;-D

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen