[Foundation-l] Attribution survey, first results

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue Mar 10 02:16:25 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Mike Linksvayer <ml at creativecommons.org>wrote:

> p.s. Personally, discussions of "offline" here and everywhere (say,
> accessibility of educational materials) are absurdly myopic.
> Consideration of offline use is about as relevant now as consideration
> of horse stables in urban planning 100 years ago.

Substitute "print" for "offline" and I think the market is fairly limited
(maybe I'm wrong, though, does anyone from the German Wikimedia know how
many copies of "The One-Volume Wikipedia Encyclopedia" have sold?).  But
there are plenty of uses for an "offline" encyclopedia - CD/DVD and iPod
Touch come to mind immediately.

I can't say I understand your horse stable planning analogy, but the
Wikipedia we write today will surely be useless 100 years from now except
for archaeological-type purposes, just like the Britannica from 100 years
ago is today.