[Foundation-l] Attribution survey, first results

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 20:47:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 9:28 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/3/9 Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com>:
>> And Kenyans would care about US and European copyright laws? :))) And
>> we would care why they didn't attribute us? In such cases, those who
>> care from both sides are maybe ignorants, maybe idealists, but they
>> are definitely stupid.
>
> Kenyan copyright law is ultimately derived from English law .

So, they don't care about their own copyright law.

>> Should we treat such persons systematically or it is better to add
>> some exceptional rules? Something like to give a mandate to WMF to
>> solve problems of types like giving a formal permission to the
>> government of Central African Republic (or to some NGO which operates
>> there) to print Wikipedia editions in English and Swahili without any
>> attribution (even they don't need it). Or for spoken editions for
>> education of blind persons?
>
> There is no legal way to do that nor is there any real benefit in doing so.

If the present options are between linking to the history of article
at Wikipedia up to the full attribution, I don't see any reason why
the whole range can't be applied in the ToS. (And, yes, I made a
mistake with mentioning "no attribution at all".)