[Foundation-l] Biographies of Living People: a quick interim update

Ilario Valdelli valdelli at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 08:51:10 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 11:12 PM, Sue Gardner <sgardner at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> This is just a quick interim update on the BLP issue I raised here last week.
>

> First, there seems to be a general view that BLPs are a problem that
> is worth addressing. I won't recap all the reasons for that, because
> it seems there is ---happpily--- already consensus.

With consensus or not the problem is urgent most of all because people
with *poor* biography consider the cancellation an insult and would
proceed in a legal point of view (I don't understand with which type
of motion) (in Italian Wikipedia it's already a daily problem).

Surely these people will not stop their activity after the acceptance
of their biography and they are a potential source of legal problems
connected with defamation or calumny.

With consensus or not I hope that WMF, as legal responsible of
servers, would proceed at least to awaken the communities to accept
more strict rules for biography of living people.

Ilario