[Foundation-l] Request for your input: biographies of living people

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 04:33:59 UTC 2009

Any proposals to allow input from the person on the deletion of the
article will inevitable tend to reject the medium-important articles
which show something unfavorable but documented and relevant and keep
those that show only favorable things. What this amounts to is saying,
that if someone is really notable they can't censor the article, but
otherwise they can.  And not just favorable/unfavorable, they will
want to delete the articles that do not praise them enough. I can
think of a number of academics and what we call creative professionals
where just this has been the problem.

If we do this, we will  have then become for many of our  articles on
living people a who'swho, and are no longer an encyclopedia.
Articles on medium important authors will either contain uncritical
praise, or be deleted.

NPOV is indeed negotiable, we can negotiate it away, and become useless.

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 11:00 PM, quiddity <pandiculation at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Those that involve themselves in BLP matters should perhaps frequent
>> AFD more often. Provided that is still how we delete articles that aren't
>> speedyable.
>>
>> -Chad
>
> I've left a suggestion at
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Biographies_of_living_persons/Noticeboard#Biographies.27_AFD_category
> to add a link to the [[Category:AfD debates (Biographical)]] on the
> noticeboard. (Possibly that category could be further refined to a
> category just listing living folks?)
>
> -Quiddity

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.