[Foundation-l] Academic article review

Pharos pharosofalexandria at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 20:53:15 UTC 2009

I agree with Yaroslav that we should have a specific role for experts,
or rather for the greater number of experts who may be interested in
contributing, but who will not be attracted to participate in the
classical back-and-forth wiki model.

But I do not believe that experts should have any special powers in
the editing of articles.

Rather, I think they should be encouraged to act in a pure review
capacity, assessing the existing work of Wikipedians, and making
recommendations for improvement.  This might also be partially
implemented through flagged revs, and I could also envision a type of
button at the top of articles that says "see last version assessed by
an expert".

Really, what we want to encourage is a sort of organized external peer
review of Wikipedia, possibly published through a new academic journal
for the genre, which authors might have some prestige in contributing
to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:External_peer_review

Thanks,
Pharos