[Foundation-l] Request for your input: biographies of living people

philippe philippe.wiki at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 16:23:10 UTC 2009

On Mar 4, 2009, at 7:17 AM, Andrew Gray wrote:

> Ha. Tie this into Thomas's suggestion...
>
> ...print up a sheaf of business cards, with "Got a problem? info @
> wikimedia.org" in nice clear bold lettering, the puzzle-globe at one
> edge; the other side just WIKIPEDIA writ large. Distribute them to
> everyone who does PRish stuff...

Great idea.  But also, we simply must change the culture of those who
see these things on wiki.  For instance, today I declined a page
protection request from an editor who saw a BLP subject making changes
to their own biography.  Amazing!  A BLP subject sees factual errors
in their biography, tries to change it, and rather than helping them
through the changes or referring them to OTRS or anywhere, we're asked
to protect the page from the changes since the subject's version
was... wait for it... INACCURATE?!  I know there may be COI issues,
but it seems to me that for whatever reason there's this adversarial
"us vs the subject" relationship that's been built up... it's so
dangerous and potentially damaging.

<sigh>

</rant>

philippe