[Foundation-l] Request for your input: biographies of living people

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Tue Mar 3 13:21:18 UTC 2009

> Can I ask: does anyone reading this thread 1) think raising the
> notability
> threshold is a bad idea, 2) believe defaulting to deletion upon request
> is a
> bad idea, or 3) disagree with the notion that other Wikipedias should
> shift
> closer to the German Wikipedia's generally-less-permissive policies and
> practices, particularly WRT BLPs?

With respect to biographies of living persons, unless there is sufficient
reliable published information about a person to flesh out a well
balanced article we shouldn't have one.

Having said that I am left with remorse regarding people involved in
interesting incidents. In such cases, the article should be about the
incident. That results in their name being mentioned, but not in the
context of a flawed biography. The key is discipline regarding creating
red links regarding persons about whom little reliable information is
available.

Fred