[Foundation-l] Request for your input: biographies of living people

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 09:23:24 UTC 2009

2009/3/3 Sue Gardner <sgardner at wikimedia.org>:

> Can I ask: does anyone reading this thread 1) think raising the notability
> threshold is a bad idea, 2) believe defaulting to deletion upon request is a
> bad idea, or 3) disagree with the notion that other Wikipedias should shift
> closer to the German Wikipedia's generally-less-permissive policies and
> practices, particularly WRT BLPs?

And yes, I think 3. is a very bad idea - en:wp's greatest strength is
its breadth of coverage. As I noted, de:wp seems to fit people's
ideals of an encyclopedia more, but en:wp is actually more useful in
any practical sense.

1. is an idea to be approached with profound caution - far too many
BLP policy proposals get a bit close to throwing out neutrality, i.e.
violating Wikipedia's greatest innovation in the encyclopedia space.

This thread has a bit of an air of "something must be done, this is
something, therefore we must do this." That is a logical fallacy.

- d.