[Foundation-l] Request for your input: biographies of living people

Aude audevivere at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 09:23:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 4:08 AM, Ting Chen <wing.philopp at gmx.de> wrote:

> Sue Gardner wrote:
> > Can I ask: does anyone reading this thread 1) think raising the
> notability
> > threshold is a bad idea, 2) believe defaulting to deletion upon request
> is a
> > bad idea, or 3) disagree with the notion that other Wikipedias should
> shift
> > closer to the German Wikipedia's generally-less-permissive policies and
> > practices, particularly WRT BLPs?
> >

> To the first question: I am not sure if this really helps solve the
> problem. We will always mention peoples inside or outside of BLP
> articles that are maybe not so notable. We will cite them, report what
> is reported about them, etc. Frankly, I think the notability threshold
> between de-wp and en-wp are quite similar. The german have different
> focus. For example all parliament members of Germany have their article
> on de-wp, but not all american congressmen or senators has an article on
> de-wp. And on en-wp, most german parliament members don't have an
> article, while all congressmen and senators have an article. But the
> principle threshold for both are the same. The notability threshold are
> radically different on other areas, for example fictional figures, but
> that is not our topic.
>
> To the second question: Yes. I think there should be NONE defaulting to
> deletion upon request. There is also no default deletion upon request on
> de-wp. A request for delete should always be checked.
>
> To the third question: Yes. Partly already answered in my other mails
> and partly above in the answer to the first question.
>
> Ting

When people are mentioned on other wiki pages, those pages don't necessarily
come up as prominently in Google searches.  However, their Wikipedia
biography article will be right at the top of search results.  Of course, we
want all articles to comply with BLP, but the impact of BLP problems on the
subject is magnified with biographical articles.

Inclusion criteria, such as the "one news event" is helpful.  If we could
make the inclusion criteria for BLP more stringent in other such ways to
weed out some of the garbage or tabloidy BLPs, that would be welcome in my
opinion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NOT#Wikipedia_is_not_an_indiscriminate_collection_of_information

-Aude

Aude