[Foundation-l] Request for your input: biographies of living people

Ting Chen wing.philopp at gmx.de
Tue Mar 3 09:08:12 UTC 2009

Sue Gardner wrote:
> Can I ask: does anyone reading this thread 1) think raising the notability
> threshold is a bad idea, 2) believe defaulting to deletion upon request is a
> bad idea, or 3) disagree with the notion that other Wikipedias should shift
> closer to the German Wikipedia's generally-less-permissive policies and
> practices, particularly WRT BLPs?

To the first question: I am not sure if this really helps solve the
problem. We will always mention peoples inside or outside of BLP
articles that are maybe not so notable. We will cite them, report what
is reported about them, etc. Frankly, I think the notability threshold
between de-wp and en-wp are quite similar. The german have different
focus. For example all parliament members of Germany have their article
on de-wp, but not all american congressmen or senators has an article on
de-wp. And on en-wp, most german parliament members don't have an
article, while all congressmen and senators have an article. But the
principle threshold for both are the same. The notability threshold are
radically different on other areas, for example fictional figures, but
that is not our topic.

To the second question: Yes. I think there should be NONE defaulting to
deletion upon request. There is also no default deletion upon request on
de-wp. A request for delete should always be checked.

To the third question: Yes. Partly already answered in my other mails
and partly above in the answer to the first question.

Ting