[Foundation-l] GFDL-only + OTRS

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 21:39:56 UTC 2009

2009/6/24 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> 2009/6/24 Pedro Sanchez <pdsanchez at gmail.com>:
>
>> With the license move...
>> do we still accept GFDL-only material?
>> I've seen OTRSer today accepting and tagging entries released as GFDL only.
>

> Is this images for Commons? I'd personally like to deprecate the GFDL,
> but if it's a Commons-accepted free content licence then there's no
> reason not to accept it.

Commons accepts all freely licensed files. Under current foundation
policy which regards to what is a free license the GFDL is a free
license.

Thus commons cannot stop accepting such images without changing it's scope.

It's also the case that killing off GFDL-only would likely require us
by the same reasoning to kill of GPL and that would cause significant
issues.

See:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:License_Migration_Task_Force#Will_GFDL_only_uploads_be_allowed_after_August_1.3F

--