[Foundation-l] Reuse policy

Nikola Smolenski smolensk at eunet.yu
Mon Jun 15 18:51:51 UTC 2009

Дана Monday 15 June 2009 20:24:39 Robert Rohde написа:
> The terms of use for editors will require that editors accept linking
> as sufficient attribution; however, the instructions for re-users will

Why do the terms require that, when this is in collision with actual licences?

> explicitly say that this is only one form of possible attribution and
> highlight more permanent forms of attribution, such as creating author
> lists.  I would expect that book publishers and other concerned with
> permanence would choose a more permanent format.

Why do you expect them to do that, when it is not required of them, and it is
easier for them to not do it?

> In the attribution survey of 1000+ editors in March, attribution by
> link was the most popular option (though certainly not universally
> accepted).  Given that, I would expect that most text contributors

The survey was fundamentally flawed, having questions that were biased
strongly in favor of this outcome. As such, its results are worthless, and
you really shouldn't present it as valid.

> will happily continue editing, and it won't lead to "the end of
> Wikimedia projects" as you suggest, even though some individuals may
> choose to stop contributing.

Translation: "Given that most people are willing to tolerate our ludicrous
decisions, we should continue to be make more ludicrous decisions."