[Foundation-l] Why don't we re-encode proprietary formats as Ogg?

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 04:17:39 UTC 2009

Tim Starling wrote:

> Some people in the community take the view that supporting proprietary
> standards, as an option alongside free standards, weakens the ability
> of the free standards to compete for mindshare and client support, and
> thus that it shouldn't be done. We would have to have that discussion,
> and possibly a vote on the issue, before deployment of any software
> solution. But the software should come first, at the very least it
> will be useful to support alternate free formats such as Dirac, Speex
> and FLAC.

I don't know who "Some people in the community" are,
but just in case they are anything like myself, who does
hold a view not entirely distant from the one you describe...

The one thing I would say is that gettin unencumbered
material that was only encumbered by the encoding it was
being carried by to formats that are free, is a net plus, no
matter if it meant we were also carrying the encumbered
format version.

Yours in deep amity;

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen