[Foundation-l] Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2

Tisza Gergő gtisza at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 20:49:28 UTC 2009

Bence Damokos <bdamokos at ...> writes:

> I'd like to note in the interest of facts that the Huwp stats have been
> implemented (without complaint till now, June 2009) since October 2006; the
> current version of the privacy policy has been available in English since
> October 2008.

It was implemented in October 2005, actually (not long after the knams stats
stopped IIRC); MediaWiki:Lastmodifiedat replaced an earlier message in 2006,
that is why the page history doesn't go back further.

More importantly, the privacy policy explicitly states that developers might
have access to the raw logs. The stat is thus in compliance with the letter of
the privacy policy, and I don't see why it would be countrary of its spirit. (As
stated, the only purpose is to provide statistics which include no personally
identifiable information; the operator is one of the most trusted users of the
hu.wp community, the founder of the community, the head of Wikimedia Hungary,
admin, bureaucrat, checkuser, whatnot; and the stat server was operated with the
knowledge and consent of the community. It is linked from the statistics page
and other relevant places, not exactly a secret.)