[Foundation-l] Stevertigo

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 18:07:43 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Austin Hair<adhair at gmail.com> wrote:

> I killfiled the thread, as I noted in two e-mails to the mailing list.
>  The usual process for this involves flagging for moderation all
> topics with that subject line, and additionally any members I think
> likely to try to pursue the topic further, for a period of a week or
> so.

It's a little late for this. Besides you didn't "killfile" the thread
(whatever that translates to in grown-up terms) - you
moderated/blocked me, and did so without serious or even sufficient
public notification. The seven-word private reply you gave me (quoted
below somewhere) was substandard, as far as explanations go.

> Note again that "moderation" does not mean that you're prevented from
> posting to the list, only that we look at your posts before sending
> them on.  Had you posted on another topic, your message would have
> been sent on within a few hours.

1) I did post on another topic. 2) Who is "we?" You? 3) A few hours
later is not acceptable, particularly in contexts where discussion
moves quickly.

> I explained my actions in the original thread, but as a courtesy I
> also replied privately to the only e-mail I received from you
> reiterating that the thread was killed.  I never received a second
> e-mail.

You said nothing courteous in your message. The point is that if you
think a simple "see my last post in that thread" qualifies as either
courteous or informative, then - nothing personal - you just need to
be replaced.

> I am generally terse if not succinct, but I don't know what about this
> suggests that I'm "overworked."

> Again, you were not blocked.

You're playing a little semantic game with yourself, Austin - I said
"blocked/moderated," not "blocked." Now consider for a minute what I
actually said - that you as moderator are obligated to give notice of
blocking and/or moderation. Do you disagree with me?

> The only message from you that I held from posting was the one to that thread,

Yes, and in that post I indicated I would not continue posting to that
thread on this list. Assuming your moderating me was valid in the
first place, you evaluated my post incorrectly - the evidence being
that its still has not been posted.

> and that went for everyone, not just you.

This doesn't even make sense. What "went for everyone?"

> And again, I did post in that thread giving notice.

No, you said, in inappropriately teenage sysadmin-speak "consider this
thread killfiled." Even if I had know you were the moderator, I still
could not have regarded the content of your message as anything
special.

-Stevertigo