[Foundation-l] How was the "only people who averaged two edits a week in the last six months can vote" rule decided?

Dennis During dcduring at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 12:50:19 UTC 2009

Right on. I detect ageism supplementing the recentism.

But seriously folks, if fraud were the issue then confirmed identify would
overcome the problem.  The number-of-recent-edits criterion has two effects
that bother me.

1. It effectively puts the vote firmly in the hands of producers not
consumers.
2. It effectively discriminates against those with RSI or who are otherwise
impaired

The first phenomenon is basic. We know damned lilttle about our users and
often seem to care less.  Perhaps having a little more representation would
tilt toward responsiveness to the user base. As important as editors are, I
can see at the project level how their interests just don't seem very
responsive to users  I have been appalled at some of the displays of
attitude toward users ("imbeciles" etc.) The default set up of our wikis
limits the ability of many with content knowledge or enthusiasm to
contribute in any satisfying way.  To entrench those who have encouraged
keeping projects as sandboxes they share with the like-minded seems very
pernicious to Wikimedia as a movement.  I think the Bolsheviks need to have
less influence.