[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] IRC Group Contacts Surgery, August 2009

Sean Whitton sean at silentflame.com
Fri Jul 31 11:16:03 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 11:46, <wjhonson at aol.com> wrote:
> Why couldn't the logs be released to the public ?

Wikimedia's IRC channels have a (very) long-standing no public logging
policy with the argument that IRC is not on-wiki and the extra freedom
of no logs encourages people to float ideas that they might not
otherwise dare to suggest. There are other arguments too.

There are plenty of us that disagree with this policy despite being in
the front line in enforcing it, including myself. To me, it's foolish
because it's totally unenforceable. The people we don't want to post
logs - i.e. the trolls - still do so on their various websites,
meaning that little is achieved with the policy other than giving ops
a good reason to ban troublesome users. There was however little
consensus to change the policy when discussions were held maybe a year
ago, so nothing was altered, and we continue to enforce the policy as
best we can.

Sean Whitton / <sean at silentflame.com>
OpenPGP KeyID: 0x25F4EAB7