[Foundation-l] Analysis of statistics

Felipe Ortega glimmer_phoenix at yahoo.es
Sat Jul 25 16:06:10 UTC 2009

This is a good point, Milos. Quantity and quality are more related to each other than we may thought initially.

For instance:

* The main proportion of Featured Articles in all top-ten language versions needed, at least, more than 1,000 days (3 years) to reach that level.

* Most of editors contributing to FAs were high experienced editors, meaning more than 2.5 or 3 years participating in Wikipedia. And these editors tend to be very active ones (though they not necessarily get 'sysop' or other special privileges). I recall you that more than 50% of editors abandonned after aprox.. half a year, in all versions we studied.

Therefore, the high experienced editors are taking care of top-quality content. Probably because they know, better than many other editors, the guidelines, procedures and daily workflows in the community. Of course, their knowledge (about the topics they contribute to) also matters. But I believe that the first condition is also critical. And you can get to that point with time, interacting with Wikipedia and the community.

As a result, any attempt to improve the "feeling" of newcomers as they start to contribute is invaluable. I've read your comments about chats with sysops or article's main editors. I've also read about training environments (customized sandboxes, more friendly, etc.).

So, all this makes *a lot of sense* in the current situation. Not because of quantity, but to improve *quality*.

Best,
Felipe.