[Foundation-l] National Portrait Gallery

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 12:41:38 UTC 2009

2009/7/18 John at Darkstar <vacuum at jeb.no>:

> Imagine this, if a gallery or museum has a painting of some "Leonard van
> der Olsen-Mozart" (he don't exist, hopefully..) then this museum should
> make sure there is a bio for the person and of his painting of "The
> fallen Madonna with the big bottom", and those should link back to the
> galleries own pages. At those pages the gallery should make available
> any high res copies, uv-scans, scientific works, etc, about the painting
> and the painter. We should be "the yellow pages for the
> GLAM-institutions". It should be so important for them to have a
> presence on Wikipedia that it should raise questions from the government
> if they don't have a sufficient presence.

Giving galleries lots of links to their pages is something we should
be happy to do, as it's informative, educational and helps the reader.

One of the many Freedom Of Information requests people have filed with
the NPG in the past week (since this storm broke) is: what proportion
of their web hits are from Wikipedia/Wikimedia?

- d.