[Foundation-l] National Portrait Gallery

John at Darkstar vacuum at jeb.no
Sat Jul 18 20:37:15 UTC 2009

Forget direct funding, its not practical. The interesting thing is, we
do have "sales organization" that is very important for
GLAM-institutions, and it is probably so interesting that a conflict
with us is simply to damaging. How do we turn this around to make it
even more interesting for them?

Imagine this, if a gallery or museum has a painting of some "Leonard van
der Olsen-Mozart" (he don't exist, hopefully..) then this museum should
make sure there is a bio for the person and of his painting of "The
fallen Madonna with the big bottom", and those should link back to the
galleries own pages. At those pages the gallery should make available
any high res copies, uv-scans, scientific works, etc, about the painting
and the painter. We should be "the yellow pages for the
GLAM-institutions". It should be so important for them to have a
presence on Wikipedia that it should raise questions from the government
if they don't have a sufficient presence.

Now, how do we make this possible? Forget direct funding, that is simply
not interesting. Making the material available is interesting because
this creates further use, not to forget visitors.

John