[Foundation-l] A heads up

John at Darkstar vacuum at jeb.no
Thu Jul 16 05:46:55 UTC 2009

If I understand you correctly this is a term base with fixed terms used
to describe the images. Such term bases are very common in archives, and
often they are standardized.

Often it is possible to translate between two sets of terms, that is
some terms will match with our categories, but if this is not possible
it is better to be able to search the terms as they are. If the terms
are in Dutch they will not be available for searching in the language of
choice for the most users.

There will be a very moderate a mouth of work to run the term base
through Google translate and manually check the result, and then make a
script to translate the term base into alternate languages. This will
greatly extend the availability of the images.

It is not unlikely the term base already relates to some other public
term base, perhaps it is a good idea to check it out. It would anyhow be
interesting to make provisions to map term bases from Dublin Core and
IPTC, probably also others, as an integral part of Commons.

John