[Foundation-l] Permanent deletion (tangent to the national portrait gallery thing)

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 21:51:57 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 5:45 PM, private musings<thepmaccount at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> consider the fact that I can write 'Commons administrators will be able to
> see an image here' to be the heart of the problem! I hope the foundation
> might consider a software tweak of some sort to allow for permanent deletion
[snip]

Permanent actions are antithetical to the notion of liberal access. We
can be reasonably liberal with our trust because there is so little
that can't be undone.

Images with significant legal issues are rare enough that they can be
easily handled as exceptions without changing the software at all.
The foundation is perfectly capable of fully deleting images and has
done so in the past.

I don't see that any change is required.