[Foundation-l] Recommending a Browser for High Quality Ogg Theora Video Support

geni geniice at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 22:17:07 UTC 2009

2009/7/9 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> 2009/7/9 geni <geniice at gmail.com>:
>
>> Promoting any one browser for any reason is kinda dicey. Given how
>> contentious browser wars are it wouldn't look to good from the POV of
>> remaining neutral. Has anyone managed to work the firefox code into
>> Konqueror yet?
>

> Konqueror isn't a serious suggestion as a casual install - anyone on
> Unix who has Konqueror has expressly chosen it, anyone who hasn't has
> a couple of hundred megabytes of KDE to download. And it's officially
> alpha on Windows and Mac.
>
> Saying "and Konqueror" is giving undue weight in the name of pseudo-neutrality.
>
> At present, it's helpful that Firefox 3.5 is the ONLY release browser
> that does the job. Best get in there while we can.

Which means any announcement will be so low key that it won't help
anyone or it will be read as Firefox being the "official" browser of
wikimedia. And Konqueror would at least have let us dodge that one
(Iceweasel on the other hand doesn't really get that effect).

Mention VLC plugin perhaps?

--
geni