[Foundation-l] Licensing update rolled out in all languages/projects

Yoni Weiden yonidebest at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 21:08:56 UTC 2009

I have four questions/requests:
1) Can you produce a list of all new mediawiki messages related to the
change? Also, a list of old messages and their old content is also needed,
to help us maintain a certain level of wording consistancy.
2) I have been translating word-by-word from English and found it hard to
explain some points. Especially was the idea that Wikipedian's contributions
are published as CC-BY-SA *and *as GFDL, while contributions from "outside"
people can be CC-BY-SA only. Why am I (a wikipedian) required to publish my
work in both licenses but my non-wikipedian friend isn't? If we are a
CC-BY-SA site as presented at the pottom of every en.wiki page, why bother
with GFDL licensing? It's too confusing.
3) More importantly, I get the impression that each community can add/change
their licensing. Can he.wiki decide that all contributions from this day and
onwards will be published as CC-BY-SA only?
4) What is the licensing of pre-June 15th 2009 revisions (which are
accessible through the history page)? Are they GFDL *and *CC-BY-SA now?

Thanks,
Yoni