[Foundation-l] Sexual Content on Wikimedia

Muhammad Alsebaey shipmaster at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 00:02:58 UTC 2009

On a totally off-topic note, Category:SuicideGirls looks to me like preview
pictures to promote a commercial site. While I can see some use for some of
those pictures (like piercing articles, etc), the collection as a whole
would not fall ,at least IMHO, under "Must be realistically useful for
educational purpose". How is it any different than the tons of "preview"
material available to promote the zillion porn sites save, of course, for
the license? (probably this question should be somewhere on commons, but I
am not a frequent commons user, I apologize for the off-topic).

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 6:53 AM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/1/30 Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111 at gmail.com>:
> > I'm certainly anti-censorship, so I don't advocate deleting all or any
> > nude photographs. However, asking uploaders a few basic questions
> > about their uploaded nudes (is the depicted model above the age of
> > consent? is the depicted model aware that this photograph was taken?
> > Is the depicted model aware that this photo is being uploaded here?)
> > could help a lot of people avoid a lot of problems. Remember, it's not
> > just the WMF who risks potential problems (and admittedly as an ISP
> > the WMF's risk is probably very low), it's the people who are being
> > depicted abusively that are going to have the biggest problems with
> > these images.
> >
> > --Andrew Whitworth
>
> I would probably view it as an issue of image quality. We have had
> Template:Nopenis for some time which among other things focuses on
> quality.
>
> The providence of an image is a quality issue. Since we have no
> shortage of pics of women in various states of undress (see
> Category:Nude women and Category:Female genitalia) some of which have
> fairly clear providence (see Category:SuicideGirls for example) I see
> no reason why we should accept further images of questionable
> providence and quality.
>
> I've already created Template:Nobreasts and it would probably useful
> if someone put together Template:Novulva
>

> --
> geni

Best Regards,
Muhammad Alsebaey