[Foundation-l] RfC: License update proposal

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jan 30 22:45:10 UTC 2009

Delirium wrote:
> Anthony wrote:
>
>> My point of view is that the proposed license update is a violation of the
>> moral rights of the contributors.  If Mike is going to deny that moral
>> rights exist in the first place, then I feel the need to explain that they
>> do.
>>
> The problem is that moral rights in your sense---i.e. not the legal
> construct "moral rights" that exists in some countries' laws, but a more
> general concept of morality as it relates to authorship---boils down to
> settling philosophical debates on what constitutes a "right", what
> "morality" is, and so on. You have some opinions on these matters, while
> others have other opinions, and I certainly don't expect this mailing
> list to be the place where centuries-long debates over what (if
> anything) constitutes a "moral right" are resolved. So I'm not too sure
> what the point of the discussion is.

The only reason that "moral rights" is an issue is its inclusion in the
statutes of various countries.  It mostly stems from an inflated
Napoleonic view of the Rights of Man that was meant to replace the
divine rights of kings.  Common law countries have been loath to embark
in this direction.  Moral rights are mentioned in the US law, but only
as a toothless tiger.

Ec