[Foundation-l] Agreement between WMF and O'Reilly Media about Wikipedia: The Missing Manual on Wikipedia?

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Wed Jan 28 12:17:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm obviously in favor of having more books at Wikibooks, but then
> again it does make some sense to keep the documentation close to the
> website it documents. If the book is GFDL, couldn't we just copy/fork
> it to Wikibooks too?

Agreed - the Wikipedia version will likely have to be significantly
adapted/integrated so it makes sense to keep a reasonably verbatim version
at Wikibooks. That is to say that I wouldn't promote the idea of posting a
book, intact, to Wikipedia (even as an exception), but anything which
improves the help material is worth encouraging.

Sam