[Foundation-l] The Ruth and Frank Stanton Fund

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Mon Jan 26 17:35:17 UTC 2009

Thomas Dalton hett schreven:
> 2009/1/26 Gregory Kohs <thekohser at gmail.com>:
>
>> Over here....
>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Benefactors/De#Major_benefactors_.28.2450.2C000_or_more.29
>>
>> ...the Wikimedia Foundation gives credit to "the Stanton Foundation".
>> It's my learning that "the Stanton Foundation" is a small non-profit
>> located in Jackon, Michigan.  However, "The Ruth and Frank Stanton
>> Fund" is a large foundation (about $28 million in holdings, in 2007)
>> that has made the high-profile donations in the past that are
>> associated with the legacy of CBS head, Frank Stanton.
>>

> Given that the WMF will have had substantial communications with them
> for some time before getting the money, I think it's highly unlikely
> WMF would get their name wrong. What gives you the idea that the
> Stanton Foundation is a small Michigan non-profit?

He wrote that. Each foundation has to file Form 990. Those forms can be
searched online <http://tfcny.fdncenter.org/990s/990search/esearch.php>.
The search term "Stanton Foundation" returns only small foundations. The
biggest is the Oliver & Elizabeth Stanton Foundation with assets of 6
million $. They spend around 100,000 each year, which is not enough to
fit. There's a Bonfils-Stanton Foundation too with more assets, but I
guess, it would have been named with the full name and not abbreviated.
The Stanton Fund has spent 1,2 million $ in 2007, which is the fitting
magnitude. But the profile of their spendings is not obviously related
to the Wikimedia donation.

(That's all no support of the idea, the WMF got wrong the name, just
information without judgement.)

Marcus Buck