[Foundation-l] The Ruth and Frank Stanton Fund

Gregory Kohs thekohser at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 17:32:39 UTC 2009

Thomas Dalton says:
Given that the WMF will have had substantial communications with them
for some time before getting the money, I think it's highly unlikely
WMF would get their name wrong. What gives you the idea that the
Stanton Foundation is a small Michigan non-profit?

++++++++++

For these reasons:
http://nccsdataweb.urban.org/PubApps/showVals.php?ft=bmf&ein=383448185
http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2008/383/448/2008-383448185-04683dae-F.pdf

I consider a foundation with about $400K in holdings a "small" one.

I'm waiting to hear back from Holtz Rubenstein Reminick (preparers of
the Form 990 for the Ruth and Frank Stanton Fund), but I'll bet they
have no affiliation with any "Stanton Foundation".  I'm predicting
this is a repeated error of the "shorthand" nature, being made by both
the press and even benefactors.  Nothing egregious, but it's just that
because there *is* another real "Stanton Foundation", this is
confusing.  You know, "the sum of human knowledge" type of stuff that
is important to me.

Greg