[Foundation-l] CIA/NSA development of mediawiki (was: Wikia leasing office space to WMF)

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Sun Jan 25 01:08:20 UTC 2009

That means I can clarify why my much hated factual correction was
appropriate. Here was the original statement:

> If the CIA were to hand you a improved-mediawiki binary, sure

Let's briefly suppose that there are binaries for mediawiki (which is false
- but suppose they only gave you byte code for mediawiki) and that the CIA
had "improved" mediawiki and given you one. There is a crucial difference
between the CIA giving you that binary and giving you source code - you can
see the diffs in the source code and you can see the diffs in the binaries,
but you cannot understand the diffs in the binaries.

How the poster I replied to does not consider this distinction relevant is
beyond me.