[Foundation-l] Wikia leasing office space to WMF

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Fri Jan 23 21:40:26 UTC 2009

Erik Moeller wrote:
> I know that Wikia/WMF related stuff is pretty exciting, but really, we
> have work to do. We're not going to not make a decision that is right
> just because it creates fodder for trolling. (And I hope that if this
> turns into a troll-fest, the list moderators will take appropriate
> action.)

Mailing-list controversy is hardly the main PR problem here; the
continuing confusion this creates in the wider world about the extent to
which Wikia and the Wikimedia Foundation are entangled is a bigger one.
It certainly *looks* suspicious. I know if something like this happened
at some other organization I wasn't involved in---say, the Sierra Club
was leasing space from a for-profit environmental lobbying firm founded
by a Sierra Club board member---I would certainly raise my eyebrows, and
I'd be skeptical when they assured me that there really weren't any
shenanigans going on.

There's a reason organizations that depend on public goodwill try to
avoid even the appearance of impropriety in this sort of respect, and
auditors usually suggest avoiding those sorts of entanglements.

-Mark