[Foundation-l] Commons and The Year of the Picture

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Fri Jan 23 13:23:38 UTC 2009

2009/1/23 Marco Chiesa <chiesa.marco at gmail.com>:

> To be honest, that link is not that different from what
> [[Special:Booksources]] does, apart from the fact that for the moment there
> is only one company offering the service. Nothing prevents other companies
> to offer something comparable and feature in that link.

Yeah; I was writing something about this earlier but never got around
to posting it.

It's relatively easy to imagine some kind of similar thing for a dozen
different image-printing suppliers; obviously you wouldn't be linking
to a preexisting sales page, you'd need to create some kind of
interface to send the file through, but the basic concept remains. Go
to image page, press button, and bang, a list appears.

The problem is, it could get massively unwieldy very fast - the frwp
booksources list is tidy and clear and has thirty or forty entries,
but the enwp list has ballooned to around six hundred! Especially for
something like this, we might well have to exert editorial control
sooner or later as to who gets listed - I'm all for doing it, of
course, but I think we need to be aware from the start that the ideal
"everyone gets listed" might break down in the long run.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk