[Foundation-l] [Wikipedia-l] vro

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Wed Jan 21 23:43:04 UTC 2009

I agree on 'et', but the 'no' case is different. the codes 'no', 'nb'
and 'nn' were present in ISO 639 since the beginning. 'no' is the code
that covers both 'nn' and 'nb'. When 'nn' split from 'no' it would have
been good, if 'no' had been moved to 'nb' the same time.

The main difference between the cases of Voro/Estonian and
Bokmal/Nynorsk is, that Bokmal and Nynorsk speakers would both agree if
you ask them "Do you speak Norwegian?" But Voro speakers do not agree
when asked "Do you speak Estonian?" They'd say "No, I speak Voro."
So, both Nynorsk and Bokmal are contesters to the code 'no', but Voro
has few interest to be covered by 'et'.
That shouldn't surprise, since Nynorsk and Bokmal are two different
standardizations for the same language, when Voro and Estonian are
different languages.

Marcus Buck

Lars Aronsson hett schreven: