[Foundation-l] [Wikipedia-l] vro

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed Jan 21 21:28:15 UTC 2009

Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> It is nice that you oppose, there are reasons why it might be a
> bad idea, but the ones that I know are not the ones you put
> forward. A reason why a change would be good is that it will
> prevent confusion.

Come on, nobody is confused about what language Estonian is.  If
giving a language code to a local dialect means we have to rename
all URLs for one of the major Wikipedias (Estonian is the 34th
biggest, Bokmål is the 13th biggest), this only means we have to
oppose all future assignments of new ISO language codes.  It is OK
to use the standard when naming new Wikipedias, but it's not OK to
suddenly change a well-known address.

We're here to spread free knowledge.  That is not helped by
renaming all of our URLs just because of some random ISO standard
change.  The no and et Wikipedias should be kept as they are.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)