[Foundation-l] Why is the software out of reach of the community?

Domas Mituzas midom.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 14:31:36 UTC 2009

Hello Brian,

thanks for all  your insights, bashing and vocal support of your pet
ideas.

I understand, that SMW is academically interesting concept (though
there're contradicting ideas in academia too, suggesting natural
language processing as an alternative, and this seems where currently
research tries to go too), and it provides "usability" in niche cases
(academic data crunching).

I fail to see why you associate SMW with general usability we're
trying to think about? Is that something we simple mortals cannot
understand, or are you simply out of touch from reality?

See, our project is special.

a) We have mass collaboration at large
b) We end up having mass collaboration on individual articles and topics
c) We have mega-mass readership
d) We have massive scope and depth

And, oh well, we have to run software development to facilitate all
that. As you may notice, the above list puts quite some huge
constraints on what we can do.
All our features end up being incremental, and even though in theory
they are easy to revert, it is the mass collaboration that picks it up
and moves to a stage where it is not that easy (and that happens
everywhere, where lots of work is being done).

So, you are attacking templates, which have helped to deal with nearly
everything we do (and are tiny, compared to overall content they
facilitate), and were part of incremental development of the site and
where editing community was going. Of course, there are ways to make
some of our template management way better (template catalogues, more
visual editing of parameters, less special characters for casual
editors), but they generally are how we imagine and do information
management.

Now, if you want to come up with academic attitudes, and start telling
how ontology is important, and all the semantic meanings have to be
highlighted, sure, go on, talk to community, they can do it without
software support too - by normalizing templates, using templates for
tagging relations, then use various external tools to build
information overlays on top of that.  Make us believe stuff like that
has to be deployed by showing initiative in the communities, not by
showing initiative by external parties.

Once it comes to actual software engineering, we have quite limited
resources, and quite important mandate and cause.
We have to make sure, that readers will be able to read, editors will
be able to edit, and foundation will still be able to support the
project.
We may not always try to be exceptionally perfect (Tim does ;-), but
that is because we do not want to be too stressed either.

So, when it comes to reader community, software is doing work for
them. Some of readers end up engineering software to make it better.
When it comes to editing community, software does the work for them.
Some of editors end up engineering software to make it better.

Which community are you talking about?

BR,
--
Domas Mituzas -- http://dammit.lt/ -- [[user:midom]]