[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Attribution and Relicensing

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Jan 18 14:40:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> 2009/1/16 Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com>:
>
> > It seems though
> > that the _prospect_ of very speculative and indecisively
> > defined new ways of showing editors _on_ wikipedia
> > pages fringes (not requiring it downstream even), is
> > what is really concretely even hinted at...
>
> The downstream requirement that we're talking about right now is:
> a) If there are up to five authors, name them directly alongside the
> article;
> b) If there are more than five, you can refer to a copy of the history.

What about text works which were licensed under CC-BY-SA but were released
somewhere other than Wikipedia?  Can these be incorporated into Wikipedia?
How will their right to attribution be respected?  Is this allowance of
"reference by history URL" built in to CC-BY-SA, or is it specific to
Wikipedia?