[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Attribution and Relicensing

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 00:31:44 UTC 2009

Erik Moeller wrote:
> 2009/1/16 Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com>:
>
>> Attribution here can only be a very *minimal* requirement,
>> I cannot see how the whole history of alterations could be
>> somehow swept under the carpet...
>>

> Are you referring to indicating changes? Per CC-BY-SA, 3.b:
>
> ... to create and Reproduce Adaptations provided that any such
> Adaptation, including any translation in any medium, takes reasonable
> steps to clearly label, demarcate or otherwise identify that changes
> were made to the original Work. For example, a translation could be
> marked "The original work was translated from English to Spanish," or
> a modification could indicate "The original work has been modified.";

That talks about translations, rather than editing images.

I don't know if you are well acquainted with the long and
arduous debate over whether translations are creative acts...

Editing an image is not usually an act that even by
pre-supposition is an adaptation or rendition that is
intended to approach a faithfully "ad-equate" (as
distinguished from "adequate") translation. When
editing an image departs from being a faithful
representation from what the original work of art
presented, of course it would not be a mere
"adaptation".

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen