[Foundation-l] Don't know how linked we still are with wikia...

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Tue Jan 6 07:00:35 UTC 2009

Tim Starling wrote:
> Brock Weller wrote:
>
>> Don't know how linked we still are with wikia...
>>

> What do you mean "still"? Wikimedia has never been linked with Wikia to
> the extent where this topic might be relevant on foundation-l. It's no
> more relevant than Wikitravel, Jimmy's objectivist mailing lists or
> Answers.com.
>
> What Wikimedia's volunteers do outside of Wikimedia is their own business.

I'm pretty sure Wikitravel, Jimmy's objectivist mailing lists, and
Answers.com have never been widely confused with Wikimedia to the extent
that multiple news articles referred to them as the "commercial
counterpart" to Wikipedia. They also did not share office space or
bandwidth with Wikimedia, or have debts to Wikimedia mentioned in
independent financial audits. They also did not use advertising slogans
that made prominent use of the Wikipedia trademark and implied a
relationship, such as Wikia's former slogan, "Wikipedia is the
Encyclopedia. Wikia is the rest of the library."

-Mark