[Foundation-l] Don't know how linked we still are with wikia...

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 02:18:45 UTC 2009

Brion Vibber wrote:
> The relationship between WMF and Wikia is basically on the order of
> "some of the same people are involved" [many fewer now than before],
> "much of the same technology is involved" [still true], and "because of
> the above, occasionally both companies find it convenient to share
> resources" [mainly our techs talk to each other, and sometimes we'll
> split spare capacity on some physical resource at a fair market rate].
>
> This is not a particularly closer relationship than we have with other
> companies and organizations in the fields of wikis and open
> source/content stuff.
>
> -- brion

That is accurate in the absolute, but misleading in fact.

The relationship is markedly different from the other
companies and organizations in the fields of wikis and
open source/content stuff; in that many (I certainly hope
not most) of the people at Wikia used to be integral and
even core people at wikipedia - and no, I won't name
names. Nuff said.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen