[Foundation-l] What to do with moribund languages?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 15:50:15 UTC 2009

Hoi,
In the Wikimedia Foundation we have a division in projects like Wikipedia,
Wikisource etc. There is no such thing as a compendium and as this is not an
accepted idea. When people ask for a Wikipedia, their request is to write an
encyclopaedia. It is for the volunteers to decide what they want to write
about. There have been many people who volunteered their opinion what other
volunteers should write about. There are the 1000 most important articles
that every Wikipedia should have, I advocate people to write their Wikipedia
articles about whatever is in the (local) news, now you tell them to write
about cultural issues.

An encyclopaedia is indeed expensive, but it is not a luxury. When people
write in an encyclopaedic way about what they feel a need to write about,
they should be welcome to do this. When people write in their language about
what concerns them, what is of interest to them, you actually get the
cultural issues that are important to them.

The language policy is not judgmental in what languages should live and
which ones should not. When a language is a living language, when it
complies with the requirements, a community can have its project. This is
exactly right because in this way there are objective criteria what language
moves forward and why. This is exactly why the policy is fair. All languages
have to comply with the same requirements. It is wrong to place ourselves in
a place of judgment. All languages have their value and contribute in their
own way to what the WMF aims to do. Each community has to bear its own
burdens, every community has to pay the price for its project, its
encyclopaedia to start. Continued activity is one price for making a project
a success. Our understanding what makes a project relevant may guide a
community but they are free to make their own choices.
Thanks,
     GerardM